Step by step to Commissioned works.

I have been painting murals since 2001. That's 11 years, though it seems like yesterday.

I like the whole uncertainty of working on a large wall, no matter how many concept sketches I draw- the wall is there, challenging me! It makes me nervous as hell.

I need to sweet talk and psyche myself up as if I'm a boxer entering the ring!

Well, before I go on harping on the challenges I face- I think I need to explain how I approach my work.
I really dig ideas, and I like spending time just looking at the space I am going to paint- I try to get really familiar with the space in order to help me decide, how prominent I want the work to be. There have been times where, I have done a small painting....The moment it is reproduced on the wall- hell breaks loose!

Post the sketches are made and approved of- I start another round of strolling the space. Now, the intention is to get a check on the color schemes- if they need any alterations or no. Again, with experience I have learnt not to make a color scheme- a vague idea is all I have most of the times. On specific works even I need to do some pointers. Mostly, it is an awareness that has come with experience.

Usually- a space takes 3 days to a week. I am referring to the actual painting process on site. Add up 15 days for the concept work. This is post the client and me having clarity on what goes on the wall- the days taken for this- is something that I fail to predict :)

So- the last days on site are days, of frenzy where I go without sleep, and deafening music blaring on my ears. Finally- what matters is a smile on the clients face.



Featured above is the pic of Zion for ixigo.com at their Gurgaon office.

Comments

Popular Posts