walk with ideas.

On a holiday, what if I choose to go from point A to point R and then move to random places, and return to point B; where I should have reached earlier?

There are times when the lessons in anatomy, landscape or still life study become a wall that we have built around us and choose to live in it and talk of the freedom of art! These days are nearly same when I have to stare at the blank sheet of page, think and keep on thinking on the way a figure could take shape in the void, draw a few lines and then hunt for a new sheet of paper, mumble over my pencil, reach for the pen and get annoyed with it as well. Some people call it a creative block, but my ego doesn’t like the idea of some abstraction taking hold of my brain and paralyzing it.

Last night, looking at my older sketch books- the problem didn’t seem to be that big anymore. The corner of a page on a sketch book that I was using 2 years ago had some text scribbled in it (during a similar frustrating phase) that got the shape of a painting I had done last year.

I immediately got back to my sketch book and started doodling in it, with an understanding that if I don’t really get any concrete ideas at the moment, this time might help me form a painting that’s going to be appreciated sometime in the future- a reason good enough to be filling pages with visual jargon.

During the times that I teach people drawing and thinking laterally for the canvas, I always give them the advice that I forgot myself when faced with the dead end of thought.

I’d like to post it here for myself, and others who may find it useful when facing similar blocks: When your line doesn’t listen to you, and your brain runs in a tangent….. Take them out for a walk.

Comments

Karthick Gopal said…
Great stuff you should post more about your experiences to help out noob artists and those aspiring to do better than bathroom doodles.

Popular Posts