There is no spoon!

The kid looked at me. The grin wiped out and a sudden seriousness that reflected an awareness beyond age. Suddenly, he asked, "Whom are you trying to kid?"


Life. The phenomena that puts uncertainty to shame, makes seriousness and the most bizarre events look like babies, has now chosen to get amused by making me a target.



Holding the dumbells, I resolved to go thru another set of punishment. I am not gonna stop before 10 reps is what I told myself, exhaled and tightened my grip. This kid landed up from nowhere and started pulling my T-shirt. "Did you recognise me?", he asked. I can be real rude, with kids though I prefer smiling and talking so I did look at him, before I could refuse recognising him, I had to keep the weights down and sit coz my head was spinning.



"I am Saran," My own childhood telling me. The signature grin and a bundle of energy.


I was irritated and confused. Confused for the obvious reasons of seeing my own childhood not in any album or a picture- in flesh moving and throwing a volley of questions at me. It was this volley that was getting on my nerves.


Well, the kid struck with me for a day. If I write all of it, it would be a novel than a blog and I don't have that amount of patience. The initial shock moved away to joy and a pride of being a guide. This is my past and if he is gonna grow all over again in a certain other place, lemme warn him and tell him what took me years to figure out for myself. So, we got talking.

"I am an artist, I mean the you..... my elder you. I like drawing a lot. Wow...... an artist!!!! Can you draw as fast as I have been wondering if I can? Please make a fast super fast Bruce Lee speed sketch."

After a few demonstrations and flexing muscles we got into serious talking. I always like to talk to kids as if I am talking to someone who can understand, be it a heartbreak or financial worries or anything- I like to share it all.

He asked me a lot of questions, on how my life has been from the time he has yet not experienced. I told him all of it, easing his worries bout the future. Then I shared similar worries of a future with him, now I realise that where I took away my seniority.

Life till now has been easy, now I am scared with so many responsibilities..... If I miss out on anything even a bit.... I'm gone.

He kept quite.

I have to be responsible for myself to an extent that a family can be planned, luxuries enjoyed. Look at me.... I'm in a miserable state, dunno when will it get better.

After a long pause when he looked at me, it felt as if all the respect I had gained was under threat. Finally he spoke......

So, you are trying to tell me that I am scared in school, scared about a future.... a profession..... intelligence and flunking in class. To add to this is the impression I would cast on girls. You're telling me that my dreams of painting and drawing have made you...... When I am contemplating suicide.... you are telling me to dream on! Life will be set..... Couldnt see myself reaching the age you are living in. If you already know what got you where you are....... why cant you dream on?

It felt like a strong kick in the gut. After what seemed like eternity, I could only say, "As you grow older, things change... they aint that easy."

The kid looked at me. The grin wiped out and a sudden seriousness that reflected an awareness beyond age. Suddenly, he asked, "Whom are you trying to kid?"

Comments

Anonymous said…
To die for Beauty, than live for bread

Don't worry, just paint.
The kid's alive. I hope you're well.

Popular Posts