All the influences of the religious types!


There is a certain coolness in being anti establishment. Rebels are always in vogue.

The way a Che Guevara is a brand with mass appeal, would it not be great if our religious figures were also packaged in a way where the essence remained alive?

Born in a Sikh family- I could not really relate to the scriptures- no explanations, and a certain pride in the message!
There was another influence- Christianity. Thanks to the missionary schooling. The morning chapel was brilliant, a lot of my venting of the troubles of childhood happened thanks to Ms. Siddiqui, and her bringing me closer to the beauty of love and Christ.

Puneet and me used to go for walks every evening, he would go to a temple every Tuesday- this ritual blended with our fun time and thus Hanuman Chalisa happen
In college, a senior introduced me to meditation and “Aum”. Sometime around the same time, I got a transliteration of the Japjee Sahib, which again got me curious to what Sikhism is really all about.
Bombay…. Oops! Mumbai introduced me to Zen! Hetal gave me a book-Zen flesh, Zen bones. Tao of Jeet Kune Do also got me closer to meditations.

Then was Hyderabad, and the beauty of Islam was revealed. Along with it- The Bhagwat Gita. Man! This is really funny. The influences were so strong all this while, that many a times since childhood, I would think of embracing a faith completely- converting and getting a new name. I was hungry; for a Guru, or a system that would take away my agony, and make me rich, respected and desirable.
This whole mishmash took its final form in Pune, where the music of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan Saheb got me hooked to Sufism. I read and lapped up quite a bit like a hungry dog. By then I was a complete crackpot! At least this bit continues.

Along with the phases of depression and denial of Supreme power, there was an atheist in me and a waging war, between all the religions and the futility of it all.
Now, the interesting point- as I see it is that nearly all religions were born out of a rebellion to the existing norms. Rebel for reforms brought about changes that uplifted society from its existing place- continued till stagnation and viola! Meet another soul that questions, and centuries later we follow.
From my viewpoint- we are all trying to adapt to systems that talk about the same essence-yet we fight over our dietary habits or the preferred dress code. The Che Guevaras of mankind and peace must be tossing and turning where ever they are when they see whats happening!
I am better off a non-conformist. God- for me is in the magic of sunrise and the stories of perseverance and the morning dew. The whole magic of evolution, even in this pollution is what makes me a believer.

The poetry of the Granth Sahib, Zen Koans and Sufism is what I enjoy as I raise a toast to the fact that I am alive, thinking and writing this post!

What are you celebrating?

Comments

Popular Posts