Introduction to my practise in a classroom.

The basics of being a good artist are observation and practice. In visual arts, one has a liberty of abstraction and getting surreal- yet, it comes down to these two basic components- OBSERVATION and PRACTISE. Colleges and the many books available do provide a very nice methodology to learn drawing and paint; beyond that its again observation and practice.
These basics are an ocean, the more one practices the longer the journey seems to be!

I have always wanted to write some sort of tutorials and share it on this blog, but the seriousness of the subject would scare me. How can another article on drawing circles for faces, blocks for the human body contribute to the making of an artist?
This question has always troubled me, till I realized that artists are always in the making!

The workshops I take have been restructured to work on the mental aspect that assists them in finding expression. One of my favorite exercises is to let everyone introspect- choose 5 good qualities and 5 bad ones.
At this moment, the thought that these words are going to be there on the blog for anyone to come and read- anyone can leave a comment on how idiotic they think my approach is- its scaring me! Anyways, this fear is a block and I need to overcome it.
So, getting back to the good and bad qualities- they could even be blocks like the ones that keep popping up in my head about my image and the comments I can get even though my blog is hardly read by anyone!

Once this is done, try associating these qualities with some inanimate object or color that comes closest to the points listed. Paint something to express yourself, or make a film out of it. Make the character an icon and place it on your visiting card or your avatar online!

I have come across tremendous ideas in the workshops that I’ve taken so far. Piece of clay, a microphone, tunnel, road and a candle have been a few of these.

A young girl associated the candle to her life, lighting things around her friends when in gloom. The moment her friends felt better, she was forgotten like a candle that’s put off and not cared for after one gets electricity back.

What object do you choose? (This is for the very rare and occasional reader that would turn up, and read and still want to try :P)

Comments

Popular Posts